Uploading recipients via CSV or XLSX is one of the most annoying things to do, but we try to make it as easy as possible! We can process the following formats:
- Excel files (in XLS or XLSX),
- UTF-8, UTF-16 and CSV,
- Range of other formats: Tab delimited text, Windows Comma Separated, Windows Formatted Text, MS DOS Comma Separated, MS DOS Formatted Text,
- German and other non-English characters,
- Large files (up to 5MB is still fine).
Some Troubleshooting Help
When uploading your file, you may not immediately see all the recipients uploaded, even if you receive a success message. We’re in the process of improving this, but in the meantime, just wait a little bit of time (30 seconds) and then refresh the page to see all of the recipients there!
If our flash message says some rows are missing from the upload, this is likely to be because you have missing rows in your file (or because some rows are missing an email) - it should not be anything to worry about though!
If the number of "current recipients" is still different to the number in the flash message, then it is most likely there are a couple of things you should check:
- Duplicate emails (we only count the first!)
- Emails that are missing information: For example john@gmail is missing the “.com”, or john@gmailcom is missing a “.”
- Emails with spaces in the file: for instance “ firstname.lastname@example.org” won’t work
- Emails with international characters in the local part of the email (e.g. johnböehmer@gmail.com since these are considered irregular by mail clients)
Solutions to common questions:
Q – How do I add properties?
A – To add properties, add extra columns with any information you like. There is no limit to the amount of properties you can add. For more information see our section on Properties
Q – Why can’t I see the extra columns I added as properties?
A – For now we only show the recipients’ emails and names, but we’ll look to expand this functionality over time – don’t worry though, your properties have been safely added!
Q – Can I upload an excel file instead of converting to CSV?
A – Yes! As long as it is in XLSX or XLS formats (which are the default)
Q – My file won’t upload. What’s happening?!
A – If you’re upload isn’t working, we try to give you some information on the issue with a warning message:
- "Email header not found": we can’t find a column that has “email” as a header
- "Format not valid – try UTF-8 or XLS": we don’t process this type of file. Your best bet is trying out UTF-8 or XLS
- "File size too large": Our limit is 5MB: For now we have set a limit of 5MB in file size. If your file is bigger than this, get in touch with us and we’ll work around it!
Q – My German characters are coming out strangely – what can I do?
A – If your answers contains any international characters (e.g. ß, ö, ü) Excel has problems reading CSV files (this is a universal problem). There are 3 possible solutions:
- Use a program which better handles CSV (like Google Sheets or Open Office)
- Open the file in Notepad and Save it as an ANSI encoded file before opening it with Excel
- Import the CSV in Excel using the following steps:
- Open a new Excel File
- In the Data tab click on “From Text”
- Select the file containing your filtered answers
- Select Delimited, and in the file origin field choose "65001 : Unicode (UTF-8)". Then click Next
- On step 2 select the comma checkbox and follow the last prompts.